If we define squat then simply it’s a strength gaining exercise where we build sufficient muscle and strength in the legs. It’s an excellent strength training exercise that requires muscles in both upper and lower body to work simultaneously. Squats are an effective and efficient way to perform exercise when you do it on a cable machine i.e cable squat.
The cable squat is a type of squat that can build your muscles and gives strength to your legs. The exercise consists of compound movement of your body and gives strength to your muscle found in quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves, and core. We should do squat every day as the squat is the exercise that keeps our body fit. “50 squats a day is perfect for muscles workout.
Table of Contents
Cable squats: The secret behind Squats
Anyone can perform cable squat exercise effectively because cables help to stabilize your body during the movement. The cable used for squat helps to create tension on your muscle that helps to strengthen your muscles. Therefore if you are going for squat then cable squat will be a perfect option for you.
As we know that this exercise gives strength to our muscles found in quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves, and core. let’s know something about quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves, and core.
Glutes muscles help our body to stay upright and help us during workouts. Therefore it’s important for us to know about glutes. Our glute muscles help us to diminish excessive spinal compression during backbends.
Hamstrings & quads-
There are two types of opposing muscles found in our upper legs i.e. Hamstrings & quadriceps (quads). Both these muscle groups help our knee to move .it also helps to stabilize our hips joints and our knee as well. Together they move your knee and hip joints and stabilize your knee.
Calves are the muscles found on the back of our lower leg. This is the combination of two muscles i.e. Gastrocnemius and Soleus. These muscle groups help us to do some fast movement of legs like running and jumping. And it also helps us in walking and standing.
The core is not the abdominal muscles but you can call it the center of our body. The main function of the core is to stabilize our body during the movement of our arms and legs. It minimizes the excessive load on the spine and prevents injuries. However, these Muscles also stimulate the hips and make up our front, side, and back of our body.
How to Do a Cable Squat
1. To perform a cable squat exercise you first stand in front of the cable squat machine. Make your feet and shoulders wide apart.
2. Move the cable attachment down to your feet.
3. Now hold and Grip the cable handle in both hands properly in an overhand grip.
4. Stand away from the machine to tighten the slack of the cable.
5. Keep your feet facing towards the machine.
6. During this process, your back should be in a straight position and make sure your core is in a tight position.
7. Now move slowly by lowering your body just like you are going to sit on a chair by bending your knees.
8. Your knee should make 90 degrees or lower for more effect.
9. During this downward movement keep your hips back and chest up.
10. Your knees should align with your toes to prevent any stress on the knees.
11. Keep your arm straight and Don’t bend your arms during the exercise,
12. Now it’s time to return back to our original standing position. For this Squeeze your glute muscles until your knees are back into full extension.
13. Repeat this process within the set.
The procedure of Cable Squats
During each repetition, your glute muscles contract, when you start the upward. If your muscles don’t tighten, it’s sure that you are doing the process incorrectly. It’s only because you are transferring your weight to the balls of your feet. You should transfer your weight to your heel, not your balls.
It is recommended to do squat in a set of 10 to 15 or maybe 20 a day. And you should do it two to three times a week. If you are a beginner, then you should not perform more than 20 squats during this beginning stage. When you are confident to do 20 squats, then you can increase the number.
If you want to boost your metabolism faster, then you can go with 50 squats per day. In fact, this is not for beginners to mind it. And 100 squats per day are ideal for those who want to increase muscle growth, stamina, and overall body fitness. If we performed this exercise properly and regularly, you can improve and strengthens the connective tissue within the knee.
Exercise Instructions for cable squats
1. First, you have to attach two pulleys at the lowest setting on a cable pulling machine.
2. Make sure the cable pulley attachments should close to each other.
3. Avoid using a cable pulling machine with a large distance between the pulleys.
4. Now stand between both pulleys and bend over with your back straight.
5. Hold and grip the straight handle attachments.
6. Now position your feet slightly wider and keep your knees in line with your heels.
7. Make sure your knees don’t move forward over your feet.
8. Now move upward by pushing through your heels until you stand erect.
9. Then move downward until your upper legs are at or slightly below parallel to the floor.
10. Repeat the process as per the direction. (10 to 15 squat)
Benefits of cable squats
Don’t think that squat is only a leg exercise. in fact, It’s a full-body exercise that has lots of other health benefits as well. Let’s have a look at the benefits of squats.
1.Gives You Total Physique
Squats give you an excellent physique. It helps to keep your metabolism high and burns fat off your body.
Squats are incredible calorie burners and they can make you slim and trim. It burns your fat as well as builds muscle more quickly.
3.Improve body Posture and Mobility
Squats develop your muscles on your legs which gives an advantage of better mobility and flexibility. As a result, it will develop a better body posture.
4. Squats Enhance the Circulation of blood.
Squats help to improve the blood circulation in our body. Regular stretching of the muscles gives more oxygen and nutrients to the important organs of the body.
5. Squats Improve Digestion
This is one of the most effective ways to improve digestion. Due to the working of leg muscles that enhance the travel of fluids in our body. As a result, the efficiency of the small intestine improves dramatically.
6. Squats Contribute to Weight Loss
As we know any exercise can burn calories and hence reduce fat. Therefore, squats also help to burn your fat and help you in your weight loss program.
7. Squats Strengthen The Knees
Squats make our knees more flexible as it allows more blood and oxygen flowing through the tissues. This is how it minimizes the risk of a knee injury.
8. Your Back Is Injury Free
As you know some exercises cause damage to our joints and back. But squats not only strengthen the joints and back but also improve the medical conditions related to knees, ankle, and back.
Cable Squats demerits
It’s difficult to perform Cable Squats with proper form. Bad form can injure you. It needs increased safety when performed under heavyweights. Overtraining can cause back problems
Variations in Cable squats
Cable Squats have many variations to perform your workout. Variations make cable squats more beneficial and give you greater movement options. You will not get bored with doing an exercise repeatedly, because of variations.
Cable Squats walk
1.Set up the cable at waist height and stand facing the weight stack.
2. Use a straight bar with an overhand grip and extend your arms fully in front.
3. Keep your head up, look straight, and keep your chest up.
4. Go into the squat position and hold for a few seconds.
5. Now, take small steps backward staying in the squat position and return back.
6. Keep your arms straight and pull the cable by just walking back and not by folding your arms.
Sumo Cable Squats
1. Stand in front of a cable machine and set it at the lowest point.
2. Hold the attachment and open your legs wide.
3. Now, as you do a normal squat or a sumo squat without weights, sit similarly.
4. Keep your arms and torso straight throughout.
Cable Squats To Overhead Raise
1. Stand in front of a cable machine with the pulley set at your knee-length.
2. Hold the attachment with straight arms and sit into a squat position without pulling the cable yet.
3. Stand upright and raise your extended arms straight over your head.
4. Grip properly and be careful while raising your arms up.
5. Do it slowly.
High Cable Squats
1. Stand in front of a cable machine with the pulley at the highest point.
2. Hold the attachment near your chest with folded arms and pull it while sitting into a squat position.
3. Edge your elbows while pulling and feel the stress on your arms.
4. Get back to the initial standing position and repeat.
Goblet Cable Squats
1. Attach a rope to a cable machine and set it on the lowest setting.
2. Grab the attachment and hold it up near your face with folded arms.
3. Keep your elbows up as well.
4. Stand in your squat stance (at least 3 feet away from the machine) and begin the squats.
5. Lean slightly back to avoid being pulled forward but keep your torso upright.